If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service?
For information on who is required to register for the Selective Service, please visit The Who Must Register Page
Thank you for your interest in the Mathematical Statistician, GS-1529-09/11/12/13, position at our Agency. We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the Minimum Education requirements for the Mathematical Statistician position as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position because I have a degree that included 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics (of which at least 12 semester hours were in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics). Courses acceptable toward meeting the mathematics course requirement must have included at least four of the following: differential calculus, integral calculus, advanced calculus, theory of equations, vector analysis, advanced algebra, linear algebra, mathematical logic, differential equations, or any other advanced course in mathematics for which one of these was a prerequisite. Courses in mathematical statistics or probability theory with a prerequisite of elementary calculus or more advanced courses will be accepted toward meeting the mathematics requirements, with the provision that the same course cannot be counted toward both the mathematics and the statistics requirement.
2. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the additional qualification requirements for a Mathematical Statistician, GS-1529-09, as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-09 level because I have 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree that is directly related to the duties of this position.
3. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the additional qualification requirements for a Mathematical Statistician, GS-1529-11, as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-11 level because I have 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree that is directly related to the duties of this position.
4. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the additional qualification requirements for a Mathematical Statistician, GS-1529-12, as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-12 level because I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: researching, planning, and implementing mathematical statistical projects that involve developing new or modifying existing sampling, surveying and design methods; developing statistical standards to evaluate data quality; performing mathematical statistical analysis to indicate trends, outcomes, performance levels, and ideal conditions; developing aspects of survey and sampling designs that ensure continuity between data collection and analysis of data; and writing methodological or technical reports of substantive survey findings for publication or presentation.
5. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the specialized experience that qualifies you for a Mathematical Statistician, GS-1529-13, as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-13 level because I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 obtained in either the private or public sector that included the following tasks and responsibilities: formulating, planning and executing statistical research projects; developing statistical models for use with research programs; serving as an advisor to peers on mathematical statistical topics; and writing methodological and/or technical reports of survey findings for publication.
The following section is used to determine your non-competitive eligibility or priority consideration. If you want non-competitive or priority consideration, you must submit the required documentation to verify your eligibility as indicated.
1. Schedule A (Individuals with Disabilities) - I am an individual who has a permanent, severe physical, psychiatric, or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, and wish to be considered non-competitively.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit Proof of Disability. If you are selected, you will be asked to provide a Certificate of Job Readiness. You can obtain this documentation from a licensed medical professional; licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (State or private); or any Federal agency, State agency, agency of the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits.
For more information on this hiring flexibility, please visit the USAJobs Individuals with Disabilities PageA. Yes
2. Commissioned Corps Member– I am currently an officer enlisted in the PHS Commissioned Corps. I am interested in staying in the Corps if selected. NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you will NOT be referred on the competitive Delegated Examining certificate of eligibles, as selection from that list would require you to resign or retire from the Corps. For more information on the Commissioned Corps, please visit the U.S. Public Health Service Commission Corps Website.
3. Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)/Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) - I am a current or former federal employee displaced from a position in a federal agency (e.g., IRS, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.) in the same local commuting area of the vacancy. I have a current (or last) performance rating of record of at least fully successful or the equivalent. Applicants eligible under ICTAP/CTAP are provided priority selection for vacancies within the local commuting area for which they apply and are well qualified.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit copies of the appropriate documentation, such as a reduction in force (RIF) separation notice, a SF-50 reflecting your RIF separation, or a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function to another commuting area. You must also submit documentation to reflect your current (or last) performance rating of record.
For more information on ICTAP/CTAP, please visit OPM’s The Employee's Guide to Career Transition Page.A. Yes
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
1. Evaluate the feasibility of study design and analysis techniques to determine if they meet the objectives of research studies.
2. Develop or implement analytical or mathematical models for use in preparing data collection/reduction requirements for research studies.
3. Develop or implement analytical or mathematical models for use in preparing evaluation criteria for research studies.
4. Develop new statistical and mathematical hypotheses for biomedical research studies using state-of-the-art statistical methods.
5. Evaluate available data or data to be collected to determine if statistical and mathematical hypotheses can be tested.
6. Develop or review biomedical research analysis protocol designs.
7. Define statistical outcomes of biomedical research studies.
8. Determine appropriate sample size and power functions for use with research studies.
9. Determine the most appropriate methods of statistical analysis to use with biomedical research studies.
10. Conduct interim monitoring of research data.
11. Develop statistical or mathematical analyses of research data results.
12. Evaluate the methodology used in statistical studies to ensure the results are valid and reliable.
13. Modify statistical methods to help maintain the validity of research studies.
14. Develop new or innovative statistical methodologies to analyze data derived from research studies.
15. Adapt existing statistical methodologies to analyze data derived from research studies.
16. Apply analysis of variance techniques to the evaluation of laboratory or clinical data.
17. Use probability techniques in evaluating laboratory or clinical research data.
18. Perform regression analyses techniques in evaluating laboratory or clinical data.
19. Create contingency tables for use in evaluating laboratory or clinical research data.
20. Conduct survival analysis.
21. Conduct tests of significance techniques for laboratory or clinical data.
22. Develop confidence intervals for laboratory or clinical research data.
23. Determine sample size requirements for laboratory or clinical research studies.
24. Use statistical computing packages (e.g. SAS, SUDDAN, SPSS, S-Plus, STATA, etc) to perform statistical analyses.
25. Process data for statistical modeling and graphic analysis using computers.
26. Report results of statistical analyses in the form of graphs, charts and tables.
27. Develop computer simulations to analyze statistical research data.
28. Apply computerized mathematical models to the statistical analysis of research data.
29. Use computer programs to develop multivariable regression analyses of research data.
30. Develop graphical analyses of research data using computer applications.
31. Develop robust estimations of research data using computer applications.
32. Present statistical findings at a conference.
33. Collaborate with scientists on the preparation of manuscripts and reports on statistical findings of research studies.
34. Write reports that summarize and analyze statistical data for publication.
35. Disseminate the results of statistical studies in scientific journals.
36. Prepare reports documenting progress of statistical studies including methods of analysis, computer programs developed and results of analyses.
37. Prepare technical or scientific papers on findings of statistical investigations.
38. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.