Thank you for your interest in the Microbiologist, GS-403-12 position at our Agency. We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. Choose the one answer that best describes your education or experience as related to the occupational requirements for a Microbiologist GS-403 position:
2. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the basic qualification requirements for a Microbiologist GS-403-12 as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.
The following section is used to determine your eligibility for appointment. Please respond yes or no to the following questions. FAILURE TO RESPOND TO THESE QUESTIONS WILL RESULT IN AN INELIGIBILE RATING. NOTE: You must submit the required documentation to verify your eligibility as indicated. Failure to provide the required documents WILL render you not eligible for consideration.
1. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Employee – I am a current permanent Title 5 National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease employee.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you MUST submit a copy of your most recent competitive career or career conditional Standard Form-50 that reflects your highest grade held on a permanent basis.You may obtain a copy of your SF-50 from the eOPF Page.A. Yes
2. Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) -- I am a current or former federal employee displaced from a position within the Department of Health and Human Services in the same local commuting area of the vacancy. I have a current (or last) performance rating of record of at least fully successful or the equivalent. Applicants eligible under CTAP are provided priority selection for vacancies within the local commuting area for which they apply and are considered well qualified.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you MUST submit copies of the appropriate documentation, such as a reduction in force (RIF) separation notice, a SF-50 reflecting your RIF separation, or a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function to another commuting area. You must also submit documentation to reflect your current (or last) performance rating of record.
For more information on CTAP, please visit OPM’s The Employee's Guide to Career Transition Page.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Darken the oval corresponding to that statement in Section 25 of the Qualifications and Availability Form C. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
1. Plan the sequence, direction, and progress of microbiological experiments and projects in support of biomedical research.
2. Perform experiments in accordance with approved methods and procedures.
3. Use molecular biology techniques with nucleic acids from human or animal pathogens.
4. Prepare chemical reagents and solutions of varying stability for use in tests and analyses.
5. Ensure that incoming specimens are processed and triaged maintaining laboratory "chain-of-custody."
6. Review scientific material for incorporation of concepts and techniques into research activities.
7. Present research findings at professional meetings.
8. Participate in oral discussions for planning, coordinating, or consulting on work efforts.
9. Convey information about a project to colleagues within the organization.
10. Identify methods and procedures to collect data and conduct experiments and studies.
11. Evaluate experiments to ensure they are proceeding according to planned methods and procedures.
12. Modify standard study methods, requirements, practices, techniques, or existing guides to address current and evolving problems or issues.
13. Evaluate progress of experiments to determine validation and accuracy.
14. Identify unusual or unexpected results and their probable causes.
15. Compare results with those obtained from previous experiments to verify accuracy.
16. Prepare analyses and reports of findings for tests and studies.
17. Investigate, analyze, and evaluate problems and situations involving circumstances or unusual conditions for activities carried out in the scientific area.
18. Develop new methods for collecting, organizing, and recording experimental data for publication.
19. Maintain accurate laboratory records to ensure proper retention of scientific data.
20. Utilize statistical methods such as dispersion, analysis of variance, and regression and correlation analysis to analyze data.
21. Assemble and organize scientific data in tabular form for presentations and publications.
22. Assemble and organize scientific data in narrative form for presentations and publications.
23. Interpret findings, summarize conclusions, and prepare data in final form.
24. Prepare data for publication in scientific journals.
25. Utilize statistical application and data management software to analyze and interpret scientific data.
26. Prepare a variety of documents including standard operating procedures, technical manuals, and scientific documents.
27. Organize and maintain research laboratory facilities and equipment.
28. Maintain and order laboratory supplies such as buffers, reagents, media, and animals.
29. Calibrate and repair laboratory equipment to ensure it is in working order.
30. Recommend new equipment for use in a laboratory.
31. Properly handle biological or microbiological samples to avoid contamination.
32. Participate in planning for future equipment and personnel needs.
33. Enforce safe laboratory practices and hazardous materials handling, following established guidelines.
For the following questions, please indicate YES or NO to best describe your experience and/or training.
34. Do you train laboratory staff in the use of laboratory equipment and instruments?A. Yes
35. Do you oversee and supervise the work of students and others on laboratory procedures and equipment?A. Yes
36. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding “No” to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.