Chemical Engineer, GS-0893-13
Vacancy ID: 849968 Announcement Number: HHS-FDA-CDER-MP-13-849968 USAJOBS Control Number: 338741300Occupational/Assessment Questions:
This section will be used to identify the level of education achieved, to meet the basic education requirements for Chemical Engineer. Transcripts are required to verify your educational claims. Unofficial transcripts may be submitted, however, official transcripts may be required at a later date.
1. Choose one answer which best describes your education and/or experience in accordance with requirements for engineering positions at this level.A. I have successfully completed a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree in professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
B. I have a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor's degree in engineering, demonstrated by my current registration as a professional engineer by any state, District or Columbia, Guam or Puerto Rico.
C. I have a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor's degree in engineering, demonstrated by passing the Engineer-in-training (EIT) exam or required written test for professional registration administered by Boards of Engineering Examiners in any state, District of Columbia, Guam or Puerto Rico.
D. I have a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor's degree in engineering, demonstrated by completion of 60 semester hours of courses in physical, math, and engineering science and including engineering courses specified in Choice A.
E. I completed a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or an appropriate professional field, e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, math, hydrology or geology, and I have 1 year of professional engineering experience under professional engineering supervision.
F. My experience and/or education is not reflected in the above statements.
Respond to each of the following questions. For each question, choose the response that best represents your eligibility, employment and skills. Please note that your answers will be verified against the information you provided in your uploaded resume, documents and information provided by your references.
2. Please choose the response that best describes your level of experience as it relates to the work of a Chemical Engineer work at the GS-13 grade level.A. I have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-12 level, or equivalent pay band in other pay systems in the Federal government. This experience may also have been obtained in the private sector, but must demonstrate that it is comparable to the GS grade indicated. Specialized experience may have been demonstrated by performing duties such as: providing expert technical advice and guidance on chemical engineering or regulatory problems related to pharmaceutical manufacturing, formulation development, and drug product performance.
B. My experience is not reflected in the above statement.
For each of the items below, select the one statement that most accurately describes your training and experience using the scale provided.A- I have not had education, training, or experience in performing this task.
B- I have had education or training in how to perform this task, but have not yet performed it on the job.
C- I have performed this task on the job. My work on this task was monitored closely by a supervisor or senior employee to ensure compliance with proper procedures.
D- I have performed this task as a regular part of a job. I have performed it independently and normally without review by a supervisor or senior employee.
E- I am considered an expert in performing this task. I have supervised performance of this task or am normally the person who is consulted by other workers to assist or train them in doing this task because of my expertise.
3. Evaluates and responds to issues related to pharmaceutical manufacturing, formulation development, and drug product performance.
4. Applies in-depth knowledge of chemistry, process engineering, and mathematical modeling in resolving complex review issues.
5. Troubleshoots problems with chemical manufacturing processes.
6. Leads the research and evaluation of scientific properties, analysis, behavior, and the impact of these properties on the safety and effectiveness of drug products.
7. Interprets and evaluates the design of formulations used in drug products to determine their effect on the stability, dissolution, and bioavailability of the drug product.
8. Directs, implements, and solves complex issues in pharmaceutical science or chemical engineering research.
9. Conducts research to develop new and improved chemical manufacturing processes.
10. Participates in meetings with professional scientific societies and present papers on investigative results.
11. Compiles data to prepare special reports for publication in professional scientific journals.