Read the definitions below to determine what options you are eligible to apply. Please check all that apply (you must select at least one to receive consideration).
001 All U.S. Citizens
PLEASE BE SURE TO DESCRIBE YOUR EXPERIENCE IN YOUR RESUME THAT SUPPORTS YOUR RESPONSES TO THE QUESTIONS BELOW. It is important that your submitted application package clearly shows that you possess the experience and skill levels that you claim in this questionnaire. Each of your responses must be clearly supported by your education, training, and/or specific work experience you describe in your resume for this position. If not, your rating score will be adjusted or your application will be determined not qualified. The information you provide will be verified.
1. Please carefully read all of the responses below and select the letter corresponding to the statement that best describes your background related to this Natural Hazards Program Specialist, GS-301-11, position.A. I have at least one year of experience in working toward the objectives and implementation of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) at the local, regional, or Federal levels.
2. Please carefully read all of the responses below and select the letter corresponding to the statement that best describes your background related to this Natural Hazards Program Specialist, GS-301-12, position.A. I have at least one year of experience in working toward the objectives and implementation of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) at the local, regional, or Federal levels.
3. Do you have demonstrated knowledge of the principles, concepts and practices associated with the field of floodplain management and the regulations of the National Flood Insurance Program? This would be defined as having at least one year of experience at the Federal, state, or local government level or in private industry, working with the National Flood Insurance Program.A. Yes, I have at least one year of experience at the Federal, state, or local government level or in private industry, working with the National Flood Insurance Program.
The following criteria will be used to evaluate your level of knowledge, skill, or ability in the areas required for this position. For each item, choose the statement that best reflects your level of experience. If a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities.
KSA # 1 - Knowledge of floodplain management and flood mitigation strategies and knowledge of the National Flood Insurance Program.
4. Experience as a floodplain manager working for local, state or Federal government.
5. Apply knowledge and understanding of the National Floodplain Insurance Program.
6. Active involvement in the floodplain permitting process, and writing or administration of land-use ordinances or building codes.
KSA # 2 - Ability to give effective and persuasive presentations to audiences of government or private industry professionals and the general public. This includes experience managing controversial issues that have wide public interest and explaining requirements and proposals that directly affect the economic interests of the audience.
7. Experience meeting and working effectively with groups and individuals associated with floodplain management and land use concepts.
8. Experience convincing outside representatives of organizational goals and needs related to the National Flood Insurance Program.
9. Conduct meetings, public forums and presentations before public officials on topics related to floodplain management and the National Flood Insurance Program.
KSA # 3 - Ability to communicate effectively in writing to present requirements, propose improvements, and advocate concepts and ideas in letters, proposals, and articles for publication.
10. Experience in working on successful team with a specific and technical focus.
11. Communicate the regulations, concepts and processes related to the field of floodplain management in writing to varied audiences.
12. Demonstrated ability to write and produce educational materials suitable for the public which address the regulations, concepts and processes related to the field of floodplain management, floodplain mapping and land use.
KSA # 4 - Knowledge of the organization and legal relationship among Federal, State, and local governments and agencies.
13. Experience administering, developing or executing land use planning, zoning, building codes, or other regulatory programs at any level of the government.
14. Knowledge of zoning codes as they relate to floodplain management.
KSA # 5 - Knowledge and experience in the use of GIS tools and software and with digital maps.
15. Experience in land use management tools and practices as related to floodplain management.
16. Experience in applying the principles, practices and techniques of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in the development, use or interpretation of maps for floodplain management.