Enter your Social Security Number in the space indicated. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we cannot process your application without it.
Please enter your e-mail address in the space provided. If you do not provide an e-mail address you may not receive a notice of your results.
Enter the lowest grade (11) you will accept for this position.
The specialty code(s) for this position is (are):
The location code(s) for this position is (are):
Select the appropriate answer to each of the following questions based on your current level of education and/or experience that demonstrates your ability to perform the duties of this position. When answering the questionnaire, remember that your experience and education are subject to verification by investigation. You may be asked to provide specific examples or documentation of experience or education as proof to support your answers, or you may be required to verify a response by a practical demonstration of your claimed ability to perform a task.
BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - All applicants must meet the basic education requirement as described below. When applying for positions with a Basic Education Requirement you MUST provide official or unofficial transcripts that state a degree was conferred in the appropriate field. For this position the appropriate field is health or allied sciences. You must provide any additional information to support you have met the Basic Education Requirement as outlined where the major field of study is not readily identified. (Copies of Degrees or course listings are not adequate information to meet the Basic Education Requirement).
1. Do you possess a bachelors degree (or higher) from an accredited college or university with a major in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of this position? (Transcripts Required)A. Yes
Specialized Experience Requirement- In addition to meeting the basic education requirement, you must also possess specialized experience and/or directly related education to qualify for this position as described below.
2. Do you possess at least one (1) full year of specialized experience that equipped you with the knowledge, skill and ability to successfully perform the duties of this position Health Science Specialist, and that is in or typically related to the work of this position? To be creditable, this specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the GS-9 grade level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include: conducting qualitative data collection including interviews with patients, providers and staff, focus groups and ethnographic observations; using various interview and data collection techniques; developing materials required for Institutional Review Board (IRB) initial and continuing submissions in compliance within research polices and training requirements; preparing reports and presentations, writing manuscripts for peer review scientific publications. NOTE: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.A. Yes
3. Do you possess a Masters or equivalent graduate degree with a major in a field appropriate to the work of this position to qualify at the GS-11 grade level? This education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university. One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent one (1) year of full-time study. If that number cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours will be considered an academic year of graduate study. Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended. (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED)A. Yes
4. Do you possess an equivalent combination of specialized experience and graduate education as described above to qualify at the GS-11 grade level? Determine the amount of experience you have as a percentage of the experience required for the grade level. Then determine the amount of education you have as a percentage of the education required for the grade level. Only education in excess of the amount required for the next lower grade level is qualifying. Add the two percentages; the total percentage must equal at least 100% to qualify for the grade level. (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED)A. Yes
Selective Placement Factors (SPF) are a prerequisite to appointment and represent minimum requirements for the position. Applicants who do not meet the SPF are ineligible for further consideration.
5. Do you possess experience working in a healthcare facility doing research as it pertains to the health care fields?A. Yes
If you responded yes to the SPF, please provide a brief example in the box below of where this experience was gained as supported by your resume.
The following statements pertain to your knowledge of research procedures.
For each task in the following groups, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. If applying by fax using OPM Form 1203-FX, darken the oval corresponding to that statement in Section 25. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
6. Conducts qualitative data collection including interviews with patients, providers and staff, focus groups and ethnographic observations.
7. Formulating a qualitative research study from conceptualization of the research problem through the analytic, interpretation and reporting phases.
8. Uses various interview and data collection techniques.
9. Possesses organizational skills.
10. Analyzes and interprets data and identifies patterns from data collected through qualitative interviews, focus groups, etc.
11. Develops materials required for Institutional Review Board (IRB) initial and continuing submissions in compliance within research policies and training requirements.
The following statements pertain to your ability to utilize various computer programs, software and systems.
12. Preparing written research reports.
13. Collects data and manipulates data utilizing computer software programs.
14. Writes grants.
15. Uses qualitative data analysis techniques and software packages.
16. Uses current versions of standard computer software programs included in MS Office.
17. Prepares reports and presentations.
18. Prepares and writes manuscripts for peer reviewed scientific publications.
The following statements pertain to your ability to communicate.
19. Communicates with staff at all levels.
20. Explains findings in written form for investigators, policy makers and scholarly publications.
21. Contributes to and participates in the development of surveys, semi-structured interviews and other data collection tools.
22. Contributes to all aspects of the agency's qualitative and mixed methods research portfolio.
Certification of Understanding - Select the appropriate answer to the statement below. Failure to provide an answer will result in your not being considered for this position.
23. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled; I may be denied an appointment; or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated and that responding "No" or providing no response to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.A. Yes, I understand the information provided above and certify that the information provided in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith.
Transcript Reminder - If you are basing your qualifications on education (or a combination of education and experience) or if the position requires a college education to qualify, you must submit a copy of your transcripts with your application.
Veteran's Preference Documentation Reminder - In order to receive appropriate preference consideration, you should submit proper documentation if you are claiming eligibility for veteran's preference, which includes a copy of your DD-214 (member copy 4 or earlier version that shows character of service). Applicant's claiming 10-Point preference should also submit an SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veteran's Preference along with the required documentation listed on the SF-15 form (such as verification of service-connected disability percentage).
Resume Reminder - Your resume must include the following information for each job listed:
Duties (be as detailed as possible)
Month & year start/end dates (e.g. June 2007 to April 2008)
Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
Please be aware that your answers will be verified against information provided on your resume. Be sure that your resume clearly supports your responses to all of the questions by addressing your work experience in detail.
Recommended: Even though we do not require a specific resume format, your resume must be clear so that we are able to fully evaluate your qualifications. To ensure you receive appropriate consideration, please list the duties you performed under each individual job title. If we are unable to match your experiences with the positions held, you may lose consideration for this vacancy. We cannot make assumptions regarding your qualifications.