Student Trainee (Landscape Architect), GS-0899-05/07 (HRF 13-030)
Vacancy ID: 851970 Announcement Number: HRF 13-030 (SR851970) USAJOBS Control Number: 338947500Occupational/Assessment Questions:
1. To be considered for employment under the Pathways Program for this position, applicants must be enrolled as a degree seeking student in a Baccalaureate Degree or higher degree program. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these eligibility requirements, you will not receive consideration for this position.A. I am currently enrolled in an academic program leading to a Baccalaureate or higher academic degree in Landscape Architecture, or other closely related field of study.
B. I do not meet the requirement stated above.
2. From the descriptions below, select one response that best describes how your background meets the basic requirements for a Landscape Architect position. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these basic requirements, you will be considered not qualified and will not receive consideration for this position.A. I possess a bachelor or higher degree in landscape architecture or landscape design, or will complete my undergraduate degree prior to entry on duty.
B. I possess a combination of education and experience. For each year short of graduation, the applicant must have had one year of experience under professional leadership and guidance of such character and diversity as to be a satisfactory substitute for the required education. Non-degree applicants typically must have experience or study that included site planning; layout of circulation patterns; grading and drainage plans; planting plans; collaboration with architects and/or engineers; and the supervision or review of landscape construction. NOTE: The following kinds of experience are not acceptable as professional landscape architectural experience: routine drafting or developing of plans where original investigations or designs are not involved; laying out or executing illustrations in black and white or in color; nursery work involving the propagation of trees, shrubs, vines; experimental horticultural, or landscape, gardening; breeding, testing, propagation, culture, and production of plants, flowers, trees, or corps; forestry work involving the management of forest resources for the continuous production of timber, water, forage, and other forest values; architectural and engineering work limited to the design of structures; work in city and community planning that relates primarily to the broad social and economic growth of cities and communities and the organization of community services and facilities.
C. I do not possess the education or experience described above.
IMPORTANT - PLEASE NOTE: If you are using education to qualify you must document your course work and/or degree completed in your resume or other application materials you submit. You must submit a copy of your transcripts or a complete list of college courses taken that identifies for each course the college or university, semester or quarter hours earned, grade received, and date completed. If you are qualifying based on education and you do not submit specific course work information as described previously, your application will be rated not qualified for consideration. (A copy of your official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty, if selected).
THE RESUME OR APPLICATION MATERIALS YOU SUBMIT FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT MUST SUPPORT THE ANSWER YOU CLAIM UNDER THIS AND OTHER QUESTIONS. IF NOT, YOU WILL BE FOUND NOT QUALIFIED OR YOUR SCORE WILL BE LOWERED.
3. From the descriptions below, select one response that best describes how your background meets the specialized experience requirements for a Student Trainee (Landscape Architect), GS-0899-05 position. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these requirements, you will be considered not qualified and will not receive consideration for this position.A. I possess a bachelor or higher degree in landscape architecture or landscape design, or will complete my degree prior to entry on duty.
B. I do not meet the requirement stated above.
4. From the descriptions below, select one response that best describes how your background meets the specialized experience requirements for a Student Trainee (Landscape Architect), GS-0899-07 position. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY ONE RESPONSE. If you select more than one response, or leave this question blank you will be rated ineligible. If you do not meet these requirements, you will be considered not qualified and will not receive consideration for this position.A. I possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to successfully perform the duties of this position. Examples of specialized experience include, but are not limited to, the following: preparing detailed on-site measurements of selected structures and recording them in field notebooks for later transcription into measured drawings; performing architectural drafting and minor detail design.
B. I do not have one year of specialized experience as described in 4A above, however; I have successfully completed a 5-year program of study of at least 160 semester hours leading to a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture, Landscape design, or higher degree in an accredited college or university.
C. I have successfully completed 1 full year of progressively higher-level graduate education in a field of study that is directly related to the work of the position, such as Landscape Architecture or Landscape Design, and which demonstrates possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to do the work of this position.
D. I meet the criteria for Superior Academic Achievement (S.A.A.) as evidenced by one of the three following methods: I am in the upper third of my graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses; OR I have a GPA 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum, or 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in my major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; OR I am a member in one of the national scholastic honor societies.
E. Equivalent Combination of Graduate Education and Specialized Experience: I do not have one full year of specialized experience as described above or the one year of progressively higher-level graduate study in a field directly related to the work of this position as shown above, but I have an equivalent combination of such education and experience. For example, I have 6 months of the specialized experience described (50% of the experience requirement), and 14 semester hours or 21 quarter hours of directly-related graduate level college study as defined above in an accredited institution (50% of the qualifying education).
F. I do not meet any of the requirements described above.
KSA-1. Knowledge and understanding of standard landscape architectural and architectural drawings.
For each of the task statements below, please select from A through E to indicate the skill level that you possess for each task listed. The task statements were developed based on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies needed to perform the work of this position.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
Be sure to describe your experience that supports your responses to the task statements below, in your resume or application materials. It is important that your application package submitted, including a resume or application form, clearly shows how you possess the experience and skills levels you claim in this questionnaire. Each of your responses must be clearly supported by your education, training, and/or specific work experience you describe in your application packet submitted for this position (application form or resume, transcripts, list and description of training completed and/or other items you submit). If not, your score will be lowered or you will be found not qualified. The information you provide will be verified. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempts to conceal information may be grounds for rating you ineligible, not hiring you, or for firing you after you begin work.
To ensure consideration you MUST provide work samples that support your responses where appropriate; however, these must be included electronically in your application material. We cannot accept hard copy, mailed or faxed documents.
B- I have had education or training in performing this task, but I have not yet performed it on the job.
C- I have performed this task on the job, with close supervision from supervisor or senior employee.
D- I have performed this task as a regular part of a job, independently and usually without supervision from senior employee.
E- I am regarded as expert in performing this task, and/or have trained others (or am consulted by others) on how to do it.
5. Create landscape architectural and/or architectural plan drawings.
6. Create landscape architectural and/or architectural elevation drawings.
7. Create landscape architectural and/or architectural section drawings.
8. Create landscape architectural and/or architectural axonometric and perspective drawings.
KSA-2. Knowledge of computer-aided drafting (CAD) and related modeling or geographic software.
9. Prepare drawings using 2-dimensional AutoCAD drafting.
10. Use layers and line weights in the preparation of AutoCAD drawings.
11. Use blocks and x-refs in the preparation of AutoCAD drawings.
12. Use paper space and plotting in the preparation of AutoCAD drawings.
13. Create 3-dimensional models using AutoCAD.
14. Use 3-dimensional laser scanning (high definition surveying)
15. Create drawings in other CAD software.
16. Gather, analyze and interpret data using geographic information systems (GIS) software.
KSA-3. Graphic skills and ability.
17. Write legibly using architectural block lettering.
18. Prepare free hand sketches.
19. Use hard line drafting (hand or CAD) to create standard landscape architectural and/or architectural drawings (plans, sections, elevations, and details).
KSA-4. Knowledge of Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering Record (HAER), and/or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS) Standards and Guidelines for documentation.
20. Document existing-condition of landscapes, including plant identification and botanical terminology.
21. Apply knowledge of the history of American landscape architecture and/or architecture to classroom and/or professional projects.
22. Apply Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), Historic American Engineering. Record (HAER), and/or Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS) standards and guidelines for documentation to classroom and/or professional situations.
23. Apply the principles of historic preservation to classroom and/or professional projects.
24. Produce existing condition documentation of landscapes and buildings (field notes and measured drawings).
25. Identify plants with proper botanical terminology.
KSA-5. Ability to manage and lead documentation projects of landscape architectural, architectural and/or engineering sites.
26. Collaborate with others and work on teams to accomplish work-related activities.
27. Manage and lead documentation projects of landscape architectural, architectural, and/or engineering sites.
28. Review drawings for conformance to standards and guidelines.
29. Make improvements, solve problems, or take corrective action when problems arise.
30. Recommend actions for improvement or solution to problems.