Select the option(s) below for which you are eligible to apply. You are required to submit documented proof of your eligibility to be considered under merit promotion, Indian Preference, and/or other special appointing authorities.
Read the definitions below to determine what options (001, 002, 003 and/or 004) you are eligible to apply. You must enter at least one code. (NOTE: If you are eligible under Indian Preference procedures and a current Federal employee with status in the competitive service, select options 002 and 004).
001 - Any U.S. Citizen
002 - Competitive Merit Promotion. This option includes current or former Federal service employees who serve under a competitive career-career conditional appointment in the competitive service), reinstatement eligibles, and VEOA eligibles (veterans with preference and veterans who have been honorably discharged and substantially completed at least 3 years of continuous active duty service). Federal employees submit your most recent SF-50 showing pay plan, grade and salary.
003 - Noncompetitive: This option is for noncompetitive appointing authorities eligibles only. Examples include: 30% or more compensable disabled veterans, Persons with Disabilities (Schedule A), Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA) [for positions up to the GS-11 Federal level], Peace Corps employees, current/former Federal employees who currently hold or previously held a Federal competitive position with promotion potential at or above the full performance level listed for this position, and a current Federal employee working in an excepted service position covered by an Interchange Agreement. (You must submit documentation to support your eligibility for noncompetitive appointment.)
004 - Indian Preference Candidates (see vacancy announcement for details). Submit BIA Form 4432.
This section will be used to determine whether you meet the minimum requirements for this position.
Specialized Experience Requirements
1. Do you have at least one year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-09 level or higher in the Federal Service) providing scheduling and inventory support for an ultrasound unit; developing procedures for ultrasound services; providing initial interpretation of ultrasound test results; and performing sonographic imaging that included abdominal and small parts scans; breast, obstetric, and gynecological exams; echocardiograms; and vascular ultrasounds?A. Yes (Your résumé must support this response.)
Selective Placement Factor
2. Are you certified by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography or the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists in at least one of the following modalities: Abdomen and Small Parts, Breast, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Echocardiography, or Vascular Technology?A. Yes (You must include a copy of your certificate or other supporting documentation with your application.)
Knowledge of ultrasound principles, practices, and techniques
In this section, select a response from the choices below (A-E) that best describes your highest level of training and/or experience in performing each task. Your résumé and other supporting documentation will be reviewed to verify your responses. Inflating your experience is grounds for not hiring you or dismissing you after appointment.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
3. Apply knowledge of anatomy and physiology to provide preliminary interpretation of ultrasound exams.
4. Position patients to produce clear images of their tissues using knowledge of ultrasound physics.
5. Use sterile and aseptic techniques to set up trays and instruments prior to ultrasound exams.
6. Distinguish abnormal from normal findings to determine whether further ultrasound tests are required.
7. Use knowledge of embryology to analyze ultrasound tests during prenatal exams.
8. Provide ultrasound support for postpartum care.
Skill in solving problems related to ultrasound work
9. Identify and initiate corrective action to malfunctions in ultrasound equipment.
10. Recognize the need for and provide CPR to patients.
11. Observe and report physical and emotional changes in uncooperative ultrasound patients.
12. Detect and minimize ultrasound artifacts.
13. Use knowledge of radiation physics to avoid unnecessary exposure to radiation.
Ability to support the operations of an ultrasound unit
14. Select and process digital images for transmission to external offices.
15. Schedule patients for ultrasound procedures to facilitate the efficiency of the unit.
16. Maintain unit inventory, identifying supply needs.
17. Assemble and update a collection of ultrasound references (e.g., textbooks, current publications, professional journal articles, learning aids, and internal procedural guidance) to keep radiology staff apprised of new developments.
18. Arrange for ultrasound equipment maintenance.
Skill in oral communication
19. Explain fluoroscopy exam procedures to patients.
20. Counsel patients receiving care, assuring them of their privacy and safety.
21. Interview clinicians to obtain information that will assist in maximizing the effectiveness of a planned procedure.
22. Discuss preliminary findings with clinicians.
23. Speak with ultrasound equipment vendors and/or representatives to keep apprised of new advances.
Skill in written communication
24. Develop written procedures for ultrasound functions.
25. Conduct and document quality assurance evaluations of ultrasound services.
26. Summarize and collate ultrasound exam results for clinicians making diagnoses.
27. Prepare radiology employee workload reports.
28. Your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Deliberate attempts to falsify information or to exaggerate your experience level will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
By agreeing to the statement below, you are confirming that you:
- Understand this warning;
- Have reviewed your responses to this questionnaire for accuracy; and
- Have verified that your responses accurately reflect your current level of experience as described in your resume or other supporting documents.