Please choose: 001 All US Citizens
1. Please select the one (1) response that best supports how you meet the basic entry qualification requirements of education and/or experience for this position. You must provide transcripts from all educational institutions attended to verify your education. Failure to provide transcripts may cause you to lose consideration for the position.A. I possess a degree in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology or other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent
2. Do you possess at least one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-12 in the Federal service, that included the following duties: (1) conducting research on the development, improvement, and application of molecular and cultural methods for the detection, identification and isolation of foodborne bacterial pathogens; (2) development of pathogen detection methods using chromogenic agars, real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR), and conventional PCR approaches; (3) conducting development and validation studies for methods designed to detect enteric pathogens, including Salmonella, E. coli O157:H7, and non-O157:H7 STECs; and (4) interpreting and reporting scientific findings?A. Yes (this experience must be reflected in your resume)
For each of the items below, select the one statement that most accurately describes your experience and capability using the scale below.A- I have no experience in performing this work behavior.
3. Plan and implement a research program to investigate and improve the detection of Gram-negative pathogens (Salmonella, E. coli O157:H7, and non-O157:H7 STECs) in foods by the standard cultural methodologies.
4. Plan and perform rapid microbiological and molecular surveys of produce and other food commodities for the presence of various foodborne pathogens.
5. Serve as an expert in the detection of Gram-negative pathogens in foods and on environmental surfaces.
6. Conduct validation studies for methods designed to detect enteric pathogens, including Salmonella, E. coli O157:H7, and/or non-O157:H7 STECs.
7. Develop methods for the enumeration of Gram-negative pathogens in foods.
8. Develop methods for the enumeration of Gram-negative pathogens in environmental surfaces.
9. Incorporate molecular methods into classical methodologies that result in a cultural isolate.
10. Provide guidance to students or other junior personnel in the area of food microbiology.
11. Draft project plans, progress reports and manuscripts for making presentations.
12. Provide expertise and support for scientific collaborations with other principal investigators.
13. Make presentations on research findings at conferences or meetings.
14. Establish scientific collaborations with researchers that are inside and outside of the organization.
15. Provide consultation concerning foodborne pathogens with other laboratories.
16. Prepare written summaries based on analyses of data collected.
17. Prepare journal publications, written reports on scientific investigations, studies and projects.
18. Prepare analyses and reports of research findings that adhere to technical rules and procedures.