Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department of Justice (DOJ). Your response to this assessment questionnaire, in conjunction with other portions of your completed application, will be evaluated in making screening decisions.
This is a DOJ job application system. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this application. Incomplete/incorrect responses may result in you not receiving appropriate consideration.
For each of the following two questions, please select the response that best describes your education and/or experience. You may select only one response for each question. If you feel that your education or experience exceeds all of the descriptions for a particular question, choose the description that is the closest level to the experience or education that you possess. Failure to respond to these questions will result in an ineligible rating.
1. From the descriptions below, select the ONE response that BEST describes the education and/or experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a GS-9 Paralegal Specialist
2. From the descriptions below, select the ONE response that BEST describes the education and/or experience that you possess that demonstrates your ability to perform as a GS-11 Paralegal Specialist
Identify the specific experience from your resume or cover letter that validates your response. Also list the name and contact information of someone who can verify your response.
3. I have worked with mutual legal assistance treaty (MLAT) requests.A. Yes
4. I understand how a domestic criminal investigation proceedsA. Yes
5. I am familiar with and have worked with the fundamental investigative tools (such as search warrants and court orders per 18 USC 2703(d)).A. Yes
6. I have an understanding of the operations of foreign courts which includes how criminal cases progress through a civil law system.A. Yes
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.
7. Analyzing foreign treaty requests for sufficiency to present presentation to United States magistrate judges.
8. Ensuring documents conform to standards of courts or administrative bodies.
9. Reviewing foreign treaty requests for the existence of probable causes.
10. Researching and summarizing factual aspects of cases, analyzes reports, testimonies, interviews, and files.
11. Providing a variety of legal assistance and technical work which requires extensive familiarity with electronic communications products, including social media, from companies including Facebook Inc.; Google, Inc.; Yahoo!; MSN Hotmail; Twitter; MySpace; LinkedIn; Ebay; PayPal; and others.
12. Performing legal research in support of mutual legal assistance treaty (MLAT) investigative requests.
13. Providing immediate assistance to attorneys during hearings, proceedings, trials, and/or depositions.
14. Researching relevant laws, regulations, policies, standards, or procedures to address a criminal or civil case.
15. Performing investigative work to obtain information, gather evidence, or verify facts related to legal cases.
16. Utilizing litigation system, including court rules, processes, and procedures.
17. Utilizing automated litigation support processes.
18. Maintaining automated litigation support processes.
19. Utilizing common software applications, such as word processing, legal research tools, and presentation software (i.e. PowerPoint, Corel) to prepare presentations used during hearings, trials or other formal settings.
20. Createsing and maintaining computerized databases or information tracking systems.
21. Utilizing automated research tools to research case-or program specific legal matters.
22. Preparing search warrants or legal for presentation to United States magistrate judges.
23. Preparing legal pleadings to commence mutual legal assistance treaty requests for investigations.
24. Interpreting and communicating explaining relevant findings and conclusions using appropriate language, legal reasoning and organization of facts and ideas.
25. Utilizing legal case management or text analysis software applications to organize and prepare voluminous documents for mutual legal assistance treaty investigations.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy. Incomplete/incorrect responses may result in you not receiving appropriate consideration.
26. If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this program.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that I will not be considered for employment if I do not respond "Yes" to this certification item.
I understand a comprehensive background investigation, including a check of my credit history and a pre-employment drug screening, is required for this position.
You have submitted your answers for the Assessment Questionnaire. If you
provided an email address, you will receive a confirmation email upon receipt of the Assessment
Questionnaire. Please review the Vacancy Announcement to assure that you have submitted all
necessary supporting documents. Thank you for your interest in a position with the Department