Enter your Social Security Number in the space indicated. Your Social Security Number is requested under the authority of Executive Order 9397 to uniquely identify your records from those of other applicants who may have the same name. As allowed by law or Presidential directive, your Social Security Number is used to seek information about you from employers, schools, banks and others who may know you. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
Vacancy Identification Number: 870737
Announcement Number: IHS-HQ-13-870737-ESEP/MP
Enter the lowest grade level that you will accept for this position. The lowest grade for this position is 14.
Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. Are you a United States Citizen or National, who is at least 16 years old?A. Yes
The following section is used to determine your eligibility for appointment under the Merit Promotion or Excepted Service Examining Plan in the Indian Health Service. Please respond "Yes" or "No" to the following statements. Do not leave any section blank. NOTE: You must submit the required documentation to verify your eligibility as indicated below. Failure to provide the required documents will render you not eligible for consideration. See instructions under the "How to Apply" tab for submitting documentation.
The following section is used to determine your eligibility for appointment under the Merit Promotion or Excepted Service Examining Plan in the Indian Health Service. Please respond "Yes" or "No" to the following statements. Do not leave any section blank.A- Yes.
2. Are you a current, permanent (non-temporary) civilian employee on a competitive service appointment in a Federal agency or a former civilian Federal employee who achieved career status in the competitive service; or an interchange agreement eligible; or a VEOA eligible; or a former civilian Federal employee who served on a career-conditional appointment and was separated less than three years ago without achieving career status in the competitive service? (You must submit supporting documentation).
3. Are you eligible for Indian preference as defined by the Department of the Interior (DOI) and as evidenced by appropriate Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) authorized certification? (You must submit a properly completed and signed copy of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Form BIA-4432, "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the Bureau of Indian Affairs and the Indian Health Service," for employees claiming Indian preference.)
4. Are you an Indian Health Service scholarship recipient who has completed the necessary requirements for an approved health profession degree in accordance with your academic institution and under the Indian Health Care Improvement Act (IHCIA)? (You will receive highest priority placement consideration for available vacancies within the IHS).
5. Have you held a permanent position in the competitive service at the same grade level with the same or higher promotion potential as this position; or be an Interagency Career Transition Program (ICTAP) applicant; or be eligible for a special appointment authority such as a Schedule A for the severely disabled? (You must submit supporting documentation).
6. Are you interested in performing the duties of this position within the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps? (You must submit sufficient information to permit this office to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements, including any selective placement factor).
INSTRUCTIONS: The following section is used to determine your Method of Consideration/Referral.
7. Please indicate which of the following plans you want to be considered under: you will only be considered for those that you indicate and are within reach for referral. Do not leave this section blank.
NOTE: You must also submit the required documentation to verify your eligibility as indicated in the vacancy announcement. Failure to provide the required documents will render you not eligible for consideration.
Thank you for your interest in this Supervisory Health Administrator Position with the Indian Health Service. We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the qualification requirements of the Supervisory Health Administrator, GS-0601-14 described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-14 level because I have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: managing or directing a complex organization or project, including establishing strategic plans and policies; developing and presenting budgets; analyzing and evaluating behavioral health programs, such as alcohol and substance abuse, mental health, domestic violence, sexual assault or other social services programs; building and managing a diverse staff; preparing and presenting evaluations and reports; conducting or providing training on the various aspects of behavioral health programs, leading or participating in health care improvement programs/projects for behavioral health; developing, implementing, and reviewing policies, and procedures for behavioral health; and providing advice, guidance and expertise in a team environment; making oral presentaions; and preparing reports and program evaluations.
2. Choose the answer that best describes your experience in leading, managing, and administering a behavioral health care program:A. I do NOT have experience in leading, managing, and administering a behavioral health care program.
Please provide a narrative response to question number 2 to identify where/how you obtained the education, training and/or experience to perform these functions. Describe the general complexity, breadth, and impact of the program areas and work directed, including its organizational and geographic coverage and the impact of the work both within and outside the immediate organization.
3. I have an applied understanding of the mission, legal and political authorities, legal requirements, and administrative systems required to manage agency level behavioral health programs for inpatient, outpatient, and community settings intended to benefit public health.A. I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
4. I have substantive experience organizing national behavioral health program activities, including setting priorities, determining resource requirements, goal-setting, and determining strategies to achieve short- and long-term goals.A. Yes
5. Have you provided expert advice, consultation, or technical guidance on policy, strategy, resources, and requirements to senior leadership, health professionals, community representatives, and other stake holders on behavioral health programs, such as alcohol and substance abuse, mental health, social services, domestic violence, or sexual assault?A. Yes
6. I have served in a leadership role in behavioral health program management.A. Yes
7. I have demonstrated experience in program development, implementation, analysis, and evaluation of behavioral health programs, initiatives, or projects.A. Yes
8. Have you independently provided technical guidance, advice, consultation, and training related to behavioral health to colleagues in the health profession, other programs, divisions, and other agencies?A. Yes
9. Have you developed guidelines, standards, policies, and procedures for behavioral health programs, initiatives, or projects?A. Yes
10. I have made sound, well-informed, and objective decisions; perceived the impact and implications of those decisions; and committed actions even in uncertain situations to accomplish organizational goals and objectives.A. Yes
For each of the following task statements, select one response below (A-E) that best describes your experience level.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
11. Analyze issues, identify problems, negotiate and resolve problems that cut across organizational lines.
12. Formulate an action plan for addressing problem areas for a project or program based on a review of available resources.
13. Develop the most cost effective and fiscally responsible method to conduct the activities of an organization and solve related problems including determining the allocation of human and financial resources and assure compliance with related legal requirements.
14. Develop and manage databases for analysis of public health problems.
15. Resolve especially difficult and critical questions, problems, and issues which may not be susceptible to treatment in traditional ways, and to take actions which significantly affect general public health policies and overall program application.
16. I have provided leadership, supervision, and managerial direction to staff and performed supervisory responsibilities to include developing performance standards; evaluating staff performance against goals and standards; taking whatever action is necessary to ensure effective and efficient program implementation and implementing the goals of equal employment opportunity (EEO) program by taking positive steps to assure the accomplishment of affirmative action objectives and by adhering to nondiscriminatory employee practices in regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or handicap.A. Yes
17. Through subordinate supervisors, I have assigned, directed, and evaluated work of subordinate organization elements; delegated authority to subordinate supervisors and held them responsible for the performance of their organizational elements; evaluated their performance and reviewed the evaluation made by subordinate supervisors of other employees.A. Yes
Please provide a narrative response to questions number 16 and 17 to identify where/how you obtained the experience in performing these functions. Describe the complexity and scope and effect of the supervisory work in terms of the nature and variety of the tasks, methods, functions, projects, or programs carried out, the purpose of the work, and the impact of the work performed.
Factor: Oral and Written Communications
18. Does your academic and/or on-the-job experience demonstrate skill in oral and written communications, gathering and conveying information, making oral presentations, and preparing reports, correspondence, and other written materials to senior officials and public health partner organizations on behavioral health programs in the areas of alcohol and substance abuse, mental health, domestic violence, sexual assault, and other social services programs?A. Yes
19. Please select the response that describes your ability to communicate in writing.A. I have experience in preparing written documents such as transmittal memos and e-mails which cover routine issues and recipients are usually within my immediate organization/office/agency.
20. Please select the response that best describes your experience and/or ability to communicate orally with various levels of employees and management in order to obtain and provide information.A. I have applied communication skills to conduct work activities with internal and external customers as well as co-workers and superiors. I have responded to inquiries regarding non-technical or routine matters.
Please provide a narrative response to questions number 19 and 20 to identify where/how you obtained the education, training and/or experience to perform these functions. Describe the complexity and scope and effect of the work in terms of the nature and variety of the tasks, methods, functions, projects, or programs carried out, the purpose of the work and the impact of the work performed.
SECTION II. CERTIFICATION OF INFORMATION ACCURACY
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
Certification of Information Accuracy
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
21. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.