Enter your Social Security Number in the space indicated. Your Social Security Number is requested under the authority of Executive Order 9397 to uniquely identify your records from those of other applicants who may have the same name. As allowed by law or Presidential directive, your Social Security Number is used to seek information about you from employers, schools, banks and others who may know you. Providing your Social Security Number is voluntary, however we can not process your application without it.
Are you eligible for the Federal Employment Program for Persons with Disabilities? (For information on Schedule A appointments, see the OPM website.)
Enter the lowest grade level that you will accept for this position. The lowest grade for this position is 12.
If you are a male at least 18 years of age, born after December 31, 1959, have you registered with the Selective Service System?
Select/enter at least one occupational specialty. The specialty code for this position is:
Select/enter at least one geographic location in which you are interested and will accept employment. The location code for this position is:
1. From the description below, select the one which best describes your education and meets the Basic Qualification Requirements for Biological Science, GS-401.A. I have a degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
2. From the description below, select the one which best describes your education and meets the Basic Qualification Requirements for Microbiologist, GS-403.A. I have a degree in microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent.
3. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your experience and meets the Additional Qualification Requirements for Interdisciplinary Scientist, GS-401/403-12.A. I have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service, to include experience in obtaining, evaluating and analyzing data generated from next generation sequencing platforms; using bioinformatics analysis tools, including specialized publically available and proprietary bioinformatics analysis software and resources (such as NCBI, GenBank, BLAST, PDB, etc.); programming in a computer language (such as C/C++) and in a scripting language (such as Perl or Python); and working in a command-line computing environment ( such as Linux or Unix).
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Darken the oval corresponding to that statement in Section 25 of the Qualifications and Availability Form C. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
4. Write PERL/PYTHON scripts to aggregate raw bacterial sequence data for analysis.
5. Perform phylogenetic analysis based on primary sequence read data or on clusters of homologous
6. Perform analysis of metagenomics data to identify and assess DNA sequence targets.
7. Perform primary computational data processing on bacterial genomic data sequencing instruments.
8. Assemble raw data into draft genomes for annotation and downstream analyses.
9. Analyze data, interpret results, and prepare manuscripts based on the laboratory findings.
10. Analyze research results according to established principles.
11. Assist with the design and statistical analysis of gene and protein expression experiments.
12. Modify existing methods of analysis and develop new techniques to improve accuracy and
13. Perform standard quality assessment and control evaluations of genomic data obtained from
next generation sequencing instruments.
14. Maintain databases including programming/scripting, setting up systems for database
management, and password-protected access by researchers and collaborators in the research project.
15. Archive raw and analyzed data on various storage devices.
16. Provide computational bioinformatics support to scientists.
17. Record sequence quality metrics along with other sample metadata in the bacterial sample tracking system.
18. Plan and define methods and techniques to be used in research studies.
19. Assist in the preparation of DNA for sequence-based characterizations as well as generation and analysis of whole genome sequence data from foodborne and veterinary pathogens.
20. Assist principal investigators in preparing the presentations and summarization of useful DNA sequence and microarray data.
21. Assist with analyses of microarray design and data analyses, including collaborations with statisticians, if needed.
22. Assist with bioinformatics analyses needs of principal investigators.
23. Train teams personnel in the use of state-of-the-art sequencing systems and analyses of sequencing and microarray data.
24. Attend briefings with other federal and state stakeholders on the database development of whole-genome sequences from foodborne and veterinary pathogens.
25. Participate in professional meetings and other training opportunities.
26. Your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.