Thank you for your interest in the Biologist, GS-401-7 position at our Agency. We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are among the best qualified for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. Choose the one answer that best describes your education or experience as related to the occupational requirements for a Biologist GS-401 position:A. I have completed the requirements for a bachelor's (or graduate) degree in a biological science, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to this position, from an accredited college or university.
2. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the basic qualification requirements for a Biologist GS-0401-7 as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-07 level because I have completed one full year of graduate level education.
The following section is used to determine your non-competitive eligibility or priority consideration. If you want non-competitive or priority consideration, you must submit the required documentation to verify your eligibility as indicated.
1. Schedule A (Individuals with Disabilities) - I am an individual who has a permanent, severe physical, psychiatric, or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, and wish to be considered non-competitively.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit Proof of Disability. If you are selected, you will be asked to provide a Certificate of Job Readiness. You can obtain this documentation from a licensed medical professional; licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (State or private); or any Federal agency, State agency, agency of the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits.
For more information on this hiring flexibility, please visit the USAJobs Individuals with Disabilities PageA. Yes
2. Commissioned Corps Member– I am currently an officer enlisted in the PHS Commissioned Corps. I am interested in staying in the Corps if selected. NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you will NOT be referred on the competitive Delegated Examining certificate of eligibles, as selection from that list would require you to resign or retire from the Corps. For more information on the Commissioned Corps, please visit the U.S. Public Health Service Commission Corps Website.
3. Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)/Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) - I am a current or former federal employee displaced from a position in a federal agency (e.g., IRS, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.) in the same local commuting area of the vacancy. I have a current (or last) performance rating of record of at least fully successful or the equivalent. Applicants eligible under ICTAP/CTAP are provided priority selection for vacancies within the local commuting area for which they apply and are well qualified.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit copies of the appropriate documentation, such as a reduction in force (RIF) separation notice, a SF-50 reflecting your RIF separation, or a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function to another commuting area. You must also submit documentation to reflect your current (or last) performance rating of record.
For more information on ICTAP/CTAP, please visit OPM’s The Employee's Guide to Career Transition Page.A. Yes
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
1. Plan and develop scientific experiments and projects in support of biomedical research.
2. Oversee biomedical experiments conducted in a laboratory.
3. Develop, modify and recommend methods and procedures for projects.
4. Review scientific material for incorporation of concepts and techniques into research activities.
5. Adjust scientific methodology to correct problems or deficiencies in a research project, experiment, or trial.
6. Perform laboratory procedures such as pipetting; titration; determining pH and molarity.
7. Perform laboratory procedures such as measuring and weighing chemical compounds.
8. Perform laboratory procedures such as preparing solutions, reagents and buffers; media; and counting cells.
9. Ensure experiments conform to established protocols.
10. Review experiments in order to evaluate the progress of the research.
11. Analyze scientific results to determine accuracy and validity of data.
12. Identify and determine cause for unexpected or unusual results.
13. Modify or redesign methods and/or techniques to adapt to unexpected developments during a research project.
14. Train and teach technical and analytical concepts to laboratory staff.
15. Develop methods for collecting and organizing records and experimental data for scientific publication.
16. Maintain accurate laboratory records to ensure proper retention of scientific data.
17. Utilize statistical methods such as dispersion, analysis of variance, and regression and correlation analysis to analyze data.
18. Assemble and organize data in tabular form for presentations and publications.
19. Assemble and organize data in narrative form for presentation and publications
20. Discuss interpretation of data, findings, summaries and conclusions with senior staff.
21. Prepare data for publication in scientific journals.
22. Utilize statistical application and data management software to analyze and interpret data.
23. Organize and maintain research laboratory facilities and equipment.
24. Maintain and order laboratory supplies such as buffers, reagents, media, and animals.
25. Calibrate and repair laboratory equipment to ensure it is in working order.
26. Recommend new equipment for use in a laboratory.
27. Train laboratory staff in the use of laboratory equipment and instruments.
28. Properly handle biological or microbiological samples to avoid contamination.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
29. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.