This assessment section includes questions to determine if you are in the area of consideration for this vacancy. FAILURE TO RESPOND TO THESE QUESTIONS MAY RESULT IN AN INELIGIBLE RATING. Please choose A (Yes) or B (No) for each of the following items to identify which of the following descriptions applies to you.A- Yes.
1. Are you a U.S. Citizen or National?
2. Are you a current permanent competitive service employee; former Federal employee who achieved career status in the competitive service; or former Federal employee who served on a career conditional appointment without achieving career status in the competitive service who was separated less than three years ago? This includes applicants who have previously held, or currently hold this position and grade with the same promotion potential as announced for this announcement. You must submit the SF-50 that shows competitive service eligibility to be considered.
3. Are you a Veteran applying for a Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA)? You must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing an honorable discharge to be considered. Eligibility for VRA appointments includes Disabled veterans; Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war declared by Congress, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized; Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a military operation for which the Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; and Veterans separated from active duty within the past 3 years. Disabled veterans must provide the SF-15 and supporting documentation from the VA along with DD-214.
4. Are you a 30% or more Disabled Veteran? You must submit your DD214, a completed SF-15, and letter from the VA dated 1991 or later as proof to be considered.
5. Are you a military spouse? Military spouses are eligible if their active duty military spouse: 1) receives a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move; 2) has a 100% disability rating; or 3) died while on active duty. Please submit supporting documentation as proof to be considered.
6. Are you eligible for a Severely Physically Handicapped Schedule 'A' Appointment? Please submit documentation from a State or Federal Vocational Rehabilitation Service as proof to be considered.
7. Are you eligible for a Former Peace Corps or VISTA Volunteers Appointment? Please submit documentation as proof to be considered.
8. Are you eligible under an Interchange Agreement or other Miscellaneous Authorities? Please submit documentation as proof to be considered.
1. From the descriptions below, please select the one response that best describes how your experience and/or education meet the requirements for the Biological Science Laboratory Technician (Biochemistry), GS-0404-08 position. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY 1 RESPONSE. IF YOU SELECT MORE THAN ONE RESPONSE OR LEAVE THE QUESTION BLANK YOU WILL BE RATED INELIGIBLE. NOTE: Your application materials must support your responses to the following questionnaire.A. I have at least one year (12-months) of specialized work experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service which includes: assisting with conducting biological sample extraction and analyses (such as chromatography and immunoblotting); using laboratory equipment, (such as readers for ELISA, electrochemiluminescence immunosorbent assays, chromatographs and thermal cyclers for molecular cloning technology); assisting with the calibration and maintenance of laboratory instruments and equipment; assisting with sample preparation, extraction and quantification of biological compounds; managing inventory of chemicals and biological reagents including disposal of hazardous chemical and biological waste materials; and collecting, analyzing and summarizing data using computers, and software for data acquisition, word processing, and graphical and statistical analysis.
2. From the descriptions below, please select the one response that best describes how your experience and/or education meet the requirements for the Biological Science Laboratory Technician (Biochemistry), GS-0404-09 position. Read all responses before making your selection. MARK ONLY 1 RESPONSE. IF YOU SELECT MORE THAN ONE RESPONSE OR LEAVE THE QUESTION BLANK YOU WILL BE RATED INELIGIBLE. NOTE: Your application materials must support your responses to the following questionnaire.A. I have at least one year (12-months) of specialized work experience equivalent to the GS-08 grade level in the Federal service which includes: conducting biological sample extraction and biochemical immunochemical analyses (such as immunosensing, affinity chromatography and immunoblotting) using laboratory equipment such as readers for ELISA, electrochemiluminescence immunosorbent assays, chromatographs, and thermal cyclers for molecular cloning technology); maintaining and calibrating analytical laboratory instruments and equipment; testing and modifying methods for sample preparation, extraction, and quantification of biological compounds to fit the needs of research objectives; managing inventory of chemicals and biological reagents, including disposal of hazardous chemical and biological waste materials; collecting, analyzing and summarizing data using computers and software for data acquisition, word processing, graphical and statistical analysis; searching literature pertinent to research for new procedures or techniques to use in the laboratory; and preparing research reports for review by scientists and inclusion in peer-reviewed publications.
The following statements pertain to your knowledge of the principles and practices of biochemistry research.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training. Please select only one letter for each item.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
3. Conduct biological sample extraction, biochemical and immunochemical analyses.
4. Dispose of hazardous waste material (both chemical and biological) according to rules and regulations.
5. Manage inventory of chemicals, biological reagents and prepare solutions and reagents for use in the laboratory.
6. Follow detailed sampling and laboratory procedures to ensure compliance with quality control/quality assurance guidelines.
7. Initiate action to resolve or correct technical research difficulties and/or results.
The following statements pertain to your ability to adapt, develop or improve research techniques and procedures.
8. Research literature pertinent to area of research for new procedures or techniques in sample preparation, extraction and biological compound quantification to use in the laboratory.
9. Test new research techniques and/or procedures to determine suitability for use in sample preparation, extraction or quantification of biological compound.
10. Adapt and modify new techniques and/or procedures to satisfy the needs of the research project in sample preparation, extraction or biological compound quantification.
11. Write laboratory protocols for all methods developed or modified during the biological sample preparation, extraction and quantification.
The following statements pertain to your ability to use scientific instrumentation.
12. Use specialized equipment (such as microplate readers for ELISA and electrochemiluminescence immunosorbent assays, instrumentation for molecular cloning, affinity chromatography, and HPLC) to conduct chemical and biochemical research experiments.
13. Calibrate and maintain complex/specialized equipment and automated systems used for test and evaluation procedures.
14. Perform preventive maintenance on testing and data collection equipment such as centrifuges, pH meter, pipettes, HPLC, and plate readers.
The following statements pertain to your ability to plan and execute experimental design based on the research objectives.
15. Plan experiments for research projects from sample preparation to extraction, and chemical analyses.
16. Interpret variables, trends, correlations, and interrelationships among research data and conditions.
17. Manage and document project progress including workloads, equipment, scheduling and accomplishments.
18. Prepare a description of methods used for a project report.
19. Maintain detailed records of experimental data and prepare preliminary data analysis for a project report.
20. Prepare research reports and draft significant portions of scientific manuscript.
The following statements pertain to your ability to obtain, tabulate, statistically analyze, and summarize research data.
21. Use computers and instrument-specific software packages to process, tabulate, statistically analyze and summarize research data.
22. Input and display technical data using spreadsheet software (e.g. Excel).
23. Use spreadsheet software (e.g. Excel) and statistical analysis software (SAS or equivalent) to analyze technical data.
24. Create graphs and data tables using spreadsheet software (e.g. Excel), and/or other software.
Certification of Understanding - Select the appropriate answer to the statement below. Failure to provide an answer will result in your not being considered for this position.
25. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled; I may be denied an appointment; or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated and that responding "No" or providing no response to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.A. Yes, I understand the information provided above and certify that the information provided in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith.