Thank you for your interest in the Biomedical Engineer (GS-858-14) position at our agency. We will evaluate your resume and your responses to this Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. Your responses are subject to verification. Please review your responses for accuracy before you submit this questionnaire.
1. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the Minimum Education requirements for the Biomedical Engineer position as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position because I have a degree in professional engineering from a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum.
2. Choose the one answer that best describes how you meet the basic qualification requirements for a Biomedical Engineer GS-858-14 as described in the Qualifications Section of the Vacancy Announcement.A. I qualify for this position at the GS-14 level because I have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: serving as a technical advisor and consultant on a variety of complex electronic instrumentations systems; designing custom devices and systems for use in basic and clinical biomedical imaging and bioengineering research projects; creating and approving the design or overseeing the design of new systems; assessing trends in biomedical instrumentation.
The following section is used to determine your non-competitive eligibility or priority consideration. If you want non-competitive or priority consideration, you must submit the required documentation to verify your eligibility as indicated.
1. Schedule A (Individuals with Disabilities) - I am an individual who has a permanent, severe physical, psychiatric, or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, and wish to be considered non-competitively.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit Proof of Disability. If you are selected, you will be asked to provide a Certificate of Job Readiness. You can obtain this documentation from a licensed medical professional; licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist (State or private); or any Federal agency, State agency, agency of the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits.
For more information on this hiring flexibility, please visit the USAJobs Individuals with Disabilities PageA. Yes
2. Commissioned Corps Member– I am currently an officer enlisted in the PHS Commissioned Corps. I am interested in staying in the Corps if selected. NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you will NOT be referred on the competitive Delegated Examining certificate of eligibles, as selection from that list would require you to resign or retire from the Corps. For more information on the Commissioned Corps, please visit the U.S. Public Health Service Commission Corps Website.
3. Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)/Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) - I am a current or former federal employee displaced from a position in a federal agency (e.g., IRS, VA, Dept of Labor, etc.) in the same local commuting area of the vacancy. I have a current (or last) performance rating of record of at least fully successful or the equivalent. Applicants eligible under ICTAP/CTAP are provided priority selection for vacancies within the local commuting area for which they apply and are well qualified.
NOTE: If you select "yes" in response to this question, you must submit copies of the appropriate documentation, such as a reduction in force (RIF) separation notice, a SF-50 reflecting your RIF separation, or a notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function to another commuting area. You must also submit documentation to reflect your current (or last) performance rating of record.
For more information on ICTAP/CTAP, please visit OPM’s The Employee's Guide to Career Transition Page.A. Yes
Political, Schedule C, Noncareer SES Appointee: In the last five years, based on the closing date of this announcement, have you been or are you currently an employee in the Executive Branch serving on a political, Schedule C, or Noncareer SES appointment? If yes, and you are selected through this vacancy announcement, you may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment.
A political appointee is an appointment made by the President without confirmation by the Senate (5 CFR 213.3102(c)) OR an Assistant position to a top-level Federal official if filled by a person designated by the President as a White House Fellow (5 CFR 213.3102(z)). A Noncareer SES appointee is approved by the White House and serves at the pleasure of the appointing official without time limitations. A Schedule C appointee occupies a position excepted from the competitive service by the President, or by the Director, OPM, because of the confidential or policy-determining nature of the position duties.
For each task in the following group, choose the statement from the list below that best describes your experience and/or training.A- I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
1. Perform scientific and administrative reviews and analyses of applications and proposals from a programmatic viewpoint and advise on the selection of consultants to ensure fair scientific evaluation of the proposals.
2. Prepare information about proposals for advisory, review committee, and panel meetings.
3. Respond to issues and concerns about specific applications and proposals pertaining to biomedical imaging and bioengineering areas.
4. Indicate trends of research and recommend areas for future program needs and expansion based on trends.
5. Assess adequacy of research competency within the field to achieve quality and quantity of research demanded by organizational objectives.
6. Formulate and present new basic, translational, and clinical research concepts, projects, and initiatives related to biomedical engineering.
7. Advise grantees and/or contractors during the preparation of applications and proposals.
8. Monitor scientific progress, program relevance, and merit.
9. Serve as a primary reviewer/advisor for scientific relevance, feasibility of concepts, in achieving program objectives.
10. Assess emerging fields and scientific data in order to make recommendations concerning program directions, priorities, and funding.
11. Present and disseminate information about advances and promising new approaches and developments in bioengineering program areas.
12. Publish articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals or other publications.
13. Prepare research highlights and other reports summarizing and explaining significance of key research accomplishments.
14. Develop written deliverables to communicate with a variety of audiences.
15. Stay abreast of current biomedical imaging and bioengineering trends and prepare guidance for senior level staff.
16. Organize and conduct workshops, conferences, symposia, or similar activities to foster the aims of the organization.
17. Collaborate with other scientists in pursuit of exploring and devising advanced biomedical imaging and biomedical technologies.
18. Interface with grantees, contractors, organizational staff, and peer review groups on policy interpretation.
19. Represent the organization at professional society meetings, national and international workshops, conferences, and symposia.
20. Serve as the main point of contact for all interactions within and outside of the organization regarding biomedical imaging and bioengineering topics.
As previously explained, your responses in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification. Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your responses. Deliberate attempts to falsify information will be grounds for disqualifying you or for dismissing you from employment following acceptance. Please take this opportunity to review your responses to ensure their accuracy.
If you fail to answer this question, you will be disqualified from consideration for this position.
21. I certify that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, all of the information included in this questionnaire is true, correct, and provided in good faith. I understand that if I make an intentional false statement, or commit deception or fraud in this application and its supporting materials, or in any document or interview associated with the examination process, I may be fined or imprisoned (18 U.S.C. 1001); my eligibilities may be cancelled, I may be denied an appointment, or I may be removed and debarred from Federal service (5 C.F.R. part 731). I understand that any information I give may be investigated. I understand that responding "No" to this item will result in my not being considered for this position.A. Yes, I certify that the information provided in this questionnaire is true, correct and provided in good faith, and I understand the information provided above.